Friday, August 03, 2012

Time For A Change, Part II

I don't do business
That don't make me smile
               From Stephen Still's "Treetop Flyer"


Always loved that line from the Stephen Stills song about smuggler pilots.  It's also become something of a motto lately.
 
So I posted a few days back about how I've reach a time for a change. First, I wanted to thank all the people that have shown their support:  colleagues, friends, family.   It meant more to me than words can express.  Thank you.


Now for Part II: what's next?


When I decided to leave Innowave and gave myself a deadline for doing so, I didn't really know what was coming next.  But, through the help of friends and the application of serious patience by my future employer, I've accepted a position as the VP of Technology at EIS Technologies.


Why am I excited?


First and foremost, EiS is a leader in ERP Reporting, Analytics and Business Intelligence solutions for Oracle Applications.  I'll have a chance to get in on building some of those outstanding products that make other products better by helping developing enhancements for Oracle's Fusion Applications.  Cool.


Second, this is a strategic position. I'll have the opportunity to help customers without worrying about the typical consulting constraints like billable hours and personal utilization.  Which allows me invest the time in building relationships and helping customers in a trusted advisor role.  Very cool.


Third, EIS Technologies is very focused on the core of what we do:  providing products and services related to Reporting, Analytics, and BI.  When opportunities arise that are unrelated to our focus, I'll have the chance to bring good people together and watch good things happen.  One more point in the cool column.


I'm smiling about this opportunity.  And, like Mr. Stills says, I don't do business that don't make me smile.

One last thought - something my sister reminded me about a few days ago:

...the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work.  and the only way to do great work is to love what you do.  if you haven't found it yet, keep looking. don't settle.  as with all matters of the heart, you'll know when you find it. - Steve Jobs


Yup, that pretty well sums it up.

 OK, professional journey sharing now done.  Hope you got something out of it.  In the next post, we'll get back to our regular programming.

No comments: